Education and awards:
- Master of Music in Vocal Performance, Georgia State University (2019)
- Bachelor of Arts in Music, Wesley College (2015)
Notable roles/performance experience:
- Pianist at Georgia State University
- Vocal coach at Stage Right Theater Company
- Staff singer at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Newnan, Georgia since 2017
- The role of Meg in Little Women, a modern operatic setting of Louisa May Alcott’s novel
- Private voice and piano instructor since 2015
- Music theory tutor at the Wesley College Academic Resource Center
- Voice instructor, choral director and choral coach with various groups, including a music camp, high school ensemble and synagogue
Marissa currently teaches both voice and piano—primarily more classical literature, but she has worked with her students on a wide variety of styles. The focus of her experience has been opera and musical theater, but she has coached everything from jazz to K-pop.
As a private instructor, Marissa’s goal is to facilitate her students’ growth in healthy technique as a springboard for achieving their musical goals, whether that be for a performance, college auditions or just for fun.
“I am very sensitive to my students, whether they need a challenge, encouragement, or more structure,” Marissa shares. “I really try to tailor my teaching to be most effective for each student. “
Marissa has some tried and true advice for her students: “Practice! You have no idea what you’re capable of until you give your talent the attention it needs to grow.”
When Marissa isn’t singing or playing the piano, she likes to cook and watch movies.