Education and awards:
- Performance Diploma in Opera, Boston University Opera Institute
- Master of Music in Vocal Performance, Longy School of Music
- Bachelor of Arts in Music and Romance Languages & Literatures, Harvard University
Notable roles/performance experience:
- Tamino / The Magic Flute – Kammeroper Köln – Cologne, Germany
- Ernesto / Don Pasquale – Ring Award Competition – Graz, Austria
- Ferrando / Così fan tutte – Opera Saratoga
- Almaviva / The Barber of Seville – Opera Colorado, Opera New England
- Argirio / Tancredi (Rossini) – Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Edwin / Trial by Jury – Opera Saratoga
- Frantz / Le 66 (Offenbach) – Opera Saratoga
- Frederic / Pirates of Penzance tour – Atlanta Opera
- Ramiro / Cinderella (Rossini) tour – Opera Colorado
- Ivan / The Music Shop (Wargo) tour – Opera Colorado
- Tenor Soloist / Carmina Burana – Atlanta Ballet
- Lechemere / Owen Wingrave (Britten) – Boston University
- Chevalier / Dialogues of the Carmelites (Poulenc) – Boston University
- Private voice teacher in Boston, Atlanta and Cologne (Germany) since 2008
- Certified Music Together Teacher
- Led music and movement classes for small children and families in the suburbs of Boston and Atlanta (2014, 2016)
Brendan, a trained and experienced opera singer, teaches voice (classical, musical theatre, contemporary) and piano (beginning to intermediate). He aims to help students develop their musical imaginations and overcome technical obstacles so they can fully express the natural music within them. “I work to help my students to realize that what they have to say in music is valid and important,” he shares.
Brendan has extensive performance experience, but singing an opera aria a cappella in a restaurant in rural Croatia is perhaps his favorite performance memory. He is also a proud member of the winning cast of Donizetti’s Don Pasquale, who took home the prestigious 2017 Ring Award in Graz, Austria.
When it comes to music he enjoys, Brendan has very eclectic taste. He loves Rossini, Italian bel canto opera, Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) and Johnny Cash. He also has been inspired by Metallica, Jethro Tull, Queen, Roy Orbison, Brahms and J.S. Bach along his musical journey. “I find music worth listening to (and singing!) in almost any style,” he explains.
It’s not just music where Brendan’s varied taste is on display. He speaks four languages (Italian, Spanish, French and German), and is learning Portuguese. His life experience includes fixing dishwashers, repairing espresso machines, installing lawn drainage systems, replacing car engine intake manifolds, and tuning pipe organs. He also has taught English as a second language, taken stage direction in Italian, German and Spanish, and performed dialogue scenes onstage in French and German.
Sports and physical fitness are also important to Brendan, who cannot go more than a couple days without biking, swimming, running, lifting or hiking to decompress.
Find Brendan’s music online: