Brass, Woodwind, Percussion
Education and awards:
- Bachelors in Music Education, K-12
Notable roles/performance experience:
- Played with the Bethune-Cookman marching band from 2011-2015
- Played with the Bethune-Cookman wind symphony from 2013-2015
- Played at a local church on Sundays in college from 2012-2014
- Played classical repertoire for his senior recital in 2015
- Taught elementary music for two years
- Assistant band director for middle/high school band for two years
Ben teaches all types of brass, woodwind, and percussion instruments. He has four years of teaching experience as an elementary music teacher and assistant band director for middle/high school students.
“My mission is to show the next generation of musicians how beautiful music can be,” he shares. “I want to show them that music can translate into so many areas of their lives and enhance it in so many ways. I feel like I can truly connect with my students and relate to them. I have ignited a spark in students that enabled them to pursue so many artistic opportunities.”
Ben recalls his favorite teaching moment was with a student who had no passion for band whatsoever. “I was able to connect with him and show him how much fun band can really be—and even helped him choose an instrument. I introduced him to my college band program and even performed some of the songs live for him. He ended up being one of my strongest students and performed a solo at the winter concert his first year in band!”
“My best advice I can give to my students is to never fold when things get tough,” Ben says. “Diamonds are formed under immense pressure, and with dedication and persistence, you will come out on the other side stronger and brighter than before.”
Ben loves to play freestyle jazz on his trumpet, and classical solos too. He really enjoys producing music on GarageBand, as well as playing his keyboard. “I love teaching myself new things,” he shares.