Director of People and Community
Education and awards:
- Master’s Degree of Music Education with Music Therapy Specialization, University of Georgia
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology with a minor in Music, Agnes Scott College
- Board Certified Music Therapist (MT-BC); Licensed in state of GA (LPMT)
Music therapy/teaching experience:
- Music therapist since 2012
- Piano, guitar and voice private instructor since 2012
- Experience working primarily with children and adolescents with special needs
Sara provides therapy for children and adolescents with a variety of diagnoses including autism spectrum disorders, ADD/ADHD, cerebral palsy, neurofibromatosis and anxiety/depression.
In addition to Sara’s work as a music therapist, she has been teaching typical lessons as well as adaptive lessons for students on piano, guitar and voice since 2012. Students with learning disabilities or challenges, special needs, or emotional and behavioral diagnoses who would struggle in a traditional lesson setting can thrive in adaptive lessons with Sara. She teaches piano, guitar and voice in all styles at Metro Music Makers, as well as working as our Director of People and Community.
Sara’s mission as a teacher is to unlock the inner world of every student through music. “I see music as a unique way for every student to find his or her voice, learn to set and achieve goals, express and process emotion, strive for excellence, learn responsibility and learn who they are,” she says. “I work hard to ensure that every student or therapy client feels understood, is challenged and motivated, and is having fun while learning or working to meet therapy goals!”
When Sara is not in therapy sessions or teaching, she spends most of her spare time dancing flamenco. ¡Olé!