Education and awards:
- Bachelor of Arts in Piano Performance, Spelman College, cum laude
- Master’s degree in Music Education, University of Rhode Island
- United Negro College Fund/Janet Jackson Scholarship for Excellence in the Arts
- DeWitt Wallace Community Service Award
- Scholarship to study at the Brevard Music Center
- Accepted into the Institute for Recruitment of Teachers for Excellence in Education
- Worked with artists in a variety of styles, including R&B, jazz, gospel, contemporary Christian, pop, and musical theater
- Graduate assistantship at the University of Rhode Island
- Piano instructor in the Community Music Preparatory Program at the University of Rhode Island
- Choir director for DeKalb County Schools
- Music Conservatory director/choir director/piano and voice instructor for Cathedral Academy
- Piano/voice coach with Jan Smith Studios for seven years
- General music and piano instructor for the Love Bradley Academy for four years
- General music instructor for H.O.P.E. Academy
Canangela is a vocal coach and piano instructor who has worked with artists in a variety of styles, with her experience spanning from elementary students, to the church, and to the recording industry, where she has worked with artists from a number of recording/management companies.
Her journey as a music educator began at the age of 12 when her piano instructor took her under his wings as an assistant. By the time she graduated high school, Canangela had a studio of 16 students per week.
After college and graduate school, Canangela served two years as choir director for DeKalb County Schools and also as the music conservatory director/choir director/piano and voice instructor for Cathedral Academy. She went on to work as a piano and voice teacher with Jan Smith Studios for seven years. She has also served as the general music and piano instructor for the Love Bradley Academy and the general music instructor for H.O.P.E. Academy.
Canangela has also worked as an accompanist for Trinity Baptist Church and Sinfonia Youth Orchestra, as well as a pianist and soloist for the groups Prayz and Rejoys.
Teaching students all over the world across a wide variety of styles and genres, including classical, pop, R&B, gospel, jazz, and contemporary Christian, Canangela has several students who are professional musicians, have recording deals, and perform with bands—and many have gone on to get degrees in music.
“It is my goal to pour my over 25 years of experience into YOU,” Canangela shares with her students. “I want to help you soar into your craft in a way the world has never seen before by helping you build a solid foundation of proper technique, knowledge, and training for sustainable results. Let’s make it happen and enjoy the magic on the way.”
In Canangela’s youth, her poem was selected to be published in an anthology, and she met Janet Jackson and spoke at her concerts! She was also a trophy girl for Turner Broadcasting’s Trumpet Awards. But her most memorable performance was singing at a homeless shelter in Budapest.