Education and awards:
- General education with a vocal emphasis
Notable roles/performance experience:
- Member of the international cast of the musical RagTime
- Performed at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in 2006 in Scotland
- Performed in multiple musicals including Hello Dolly and Once Upon A Mattress
- Public school teacher for over 12 years
- Currently teaching kindergarten
- Taught for two tears at the Lawrenceville Suwanee School of Music
Walter J. Whelchel has been a public school teacher for over 12 years, and he is currently teaching kindergarten in Fulton County. He also taught at the Lawrenceville Suwanee School of Music in Gwinnett County for two years, where he received the teacher of the year award in 2021. While at the Lawrenceville Suwanee School of Music, all 52 of Walter’s students received the Rocket Galaxy Award—an award that recognizes the student’s drive to achieve more than the lesson book was able to teach.
A teacher of both piano and voice, with specialties in classical jazz and gospel music, Walter also loves to teach improvisational pieces.
“I want to be able to change the world one music note at a time and bring out the very best in every single student that I meet,” Walter says. He also wants to encourage his students. “I listen to them. I understand that we all have good days and bad days and some days you just need your teacher to listen to you and encourage you.”
Walter’s favorite moment as teacher involved a student he taught for a year who had disabilities. “I was able to watch him perform his first recital without my assistance,” Walter reflects.
Walter also works as a minister of music. He spends his free time fishing, hiking, and camping, and loves anything to do with the outside world.